How are you using art, music, and hip-hop culture to advance social justice and civic engagement in your community?
A NATIONAL COMPETITION FOR CREATIVE IDEAS THAT USE HIP-HOP CULTURE AND THE ARTS TO ADVANCE SOCIAL JUSTICE
The creative community has been the heart and soul of social justice movements throughout history. Creatives have brought the struggle for justice and change to life through the arts, and we are proud to honor and carry on their legacy.
A3C Festival & Conference and the Center for Civic Innovation, in partnership with Hip Hop Caucus, are proud to bring back A3C Action, a national competition that identifies and invests in initiatives that use art, music, and hip-hop culture as a vehicle to advance social justice and civic engagement in communities.
2017 APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED!
A3C Action chooses 5 finalists to join us in Atlanta in October for the A3C Festival & Conference. Finalists:
- Travel to Atlanta for the A3C Festival & Conference
- Receive business development training & pitch bootcamp
- Pitch their idea to celebrity judges & national audience
- Compete for more than $10,000 in cash and in-kind contributions
+ What do we mean by social justice?
Social justice is about the inclusivity and equality of all people. Everyone deserves to be treated equally and with respect. Ideas might include creative projects that work to empower citizens, increase access to essential rights like a great education or fair treatment in the criminal justice system, and address issues of economic opportunity, income inequality and ownership.
+ What do we mean by civic engagement?
Civic engagement is about involving community members in issues that affect them. Ideas could include creative projects that get people to the polls, find new ways to voice the community’s opinion, and provide new platforms for citizens to get involved in local politics.
All projects must use of art, music, and/or hip-hop culture as a driver. A3C Action aims to increase new, diverse audiences of creatives and artists at the problem-solving table.
+ What are major dates I should know about?
- May 15: Application opens
- July 17: Application closes at 11:59pm EST
- Week of August 1: Semifinalists notified
- August 7 - 11: Semifinalists Phone interviews
- Week of August 14: Finalists selected & notified
- August 21: Finalists announced
+ Are there any eligibility requirements?
Before you apply, make sure you meet our eligibility requirements!
- Applicants must be a US Citizen, 18 years or older *No purchase or donations necessary to enter.
- Team lead must be able to travel to Atlanta from October 4-8, 2017 to present idea at the A3C Festival & Conference
- Teams moving to the semi-finalist round will be provided with a stipend of $250 if traveling from out of state, and hotel accommodations in Atlanta.
- Prizes are non-transferable, non-refundable.
- Team Lead listed in application will be the main point of contact for this promotion. Team Lead’s failure to communicate with A3C Action according to the guidelines and schedules provided will result in disqualification.
- Team Leads may only submit one idea OR be listed on one idea.
- Anyone working directly for a sponsoring company or organization are ineligible to apply.
- Ideas must be tasteful. A3C Action will not accept or promote ideas that discriminate or otherwise promote intolerance on the grounds of religion, gender, race or sexual orientation.
- A3C Action does not discriminate based on age, color, sexuality, gender expression, religion (creed), national origin, disability, veteran status or former incarceration status.
+ How can I help spread the word?
We want people across the United States to apply for A3C Action. You can help by sharing about A3C Action social media and sending emails to friends. We will have a downloadable social media kit soon!
+ I am a media representative, who do I contact?
Please direct all press inquiries to:
Center for Civic Innovation email@example.com
Mike Walbert A3C Festival & Conference firstname.lastname@example.org